Wednesday, September 30, 2009

This weekend I took my first dive into the Providence arts scene.



Saturday was the Providence Street Painting Festival and I spent the day drawing in an 8x8 foot square. Considering I am a mere 5’2, that was a lot of space to cover. I was excited to get started Saturday morning and after getting there, was not disappointed. I was one of many artists “painting” (its chalk so I’m not sure why they call it a painting festival) and there was a lot of amazing talent. Providence truly is the Creative Capital!

In addition to all the street artists, there were vendors along Westminster. I’ve been to quite a few art festivals in the past and sometimes the vendors leave something to be desired. This was not the case. The vendors all had incredibly polished work in an array of mediums; from jewelry and greeting cards to slippers and baby onesies. Their products also reflected the stores on Westminster very well. From Symposium Books to Craftland, the stores definitely have the same vibe as the festival. If Providence is the Creative Capital, Westminster is definitely its centerpiece.


From a marketing standpoint this festival was very well done. The location fit with the theme of the festival, definitely driving art goers to the local shops, bringing in vendors this year (first year to do this) brought more people to the event equaling

more money for the Rotary Club. The addition of vendors and new street locations created more opportunities to network with artists and people who are interested in the arts. Overall, smart moves.


At the end of the day I really like the way my chalk art came out, met some very talented people and look forward to my next exposure to Providence’s art scene.






No comments:

Post a Comment